Multiple Myeloma Resources
Multiple myeloma is a cancer that forms in a type of white blood cell called a plasma cell. Healthy plasma cells help you fight infections by making antibodies that recognize and attack germs.
In multiple myeloma, cancerous plasma cells accumulate in the bone marrow and crowd out healthy blood cells. Rather than produce helpful antibodies, the cancer cells produce abnormal proteins that can cause complications.
Treatment for multiple myeloma isn't always necessary right away. If the multiple myeloma is slow growing and isn't causing signs and symptoms, your doctor may recommend close monitoring instead of immediate treatment. For people with multiple myeloma who require treatment, a number of options are available to help control the disease.1
Journal of Managed Care + Specialty Pharmacy
- Cost-effectiveness of adding daratumumab or bortezomib to lenalidomide plus dexamethasone for newly diagnosed multiple myeloma. Journal of Managed Care + Specialty, 2021, Dec;27(12):1691-1702.
- The high cost burden of third- to fifth-line treatments for multiple myeloma: unsustainable and unaffordable. Journal of Managed Care + Specialty, 2021 Sep;27(9):1321-1324.
- AMCP Payer Perspectives on Management of Multiple Myeloma. AMCP. 2021, Dec.
- Management of acute kidney injury in symptomatic multiple myeloma. Bridoux F, Leung N, Belmouaz M, et al. Kidney Int. 2021, Mar. doi: 10.1016/j.kint.2020.11.010.
- Diagnosis and Management of Multiple Myeloma: A Review. Cowan A J, Green D J, Kwok M, et al. JAMA. 2022, Feb. doi: 10.1001/jama.2022.0003.
- Roadmap to cure multiple myeloma. Rodriguez-Otero P, Paiva B, San-Miguel J F. Cancer Treat. 2021, Nov. doi: 10.1016/j.ctrv.2021.102284.
- Epidemiology, Staging, and Management of Multiple Myeloma. Padala S A, Barsouk A, Barsouk A, et al. Med Sci (Basel). 2021, Jan. doi: 10.3390/medsci9010003.
- Immunotherapy in multiple myeloma. Jadoon Y, Siddiqui M A. Cancer Treat Res Commun. 2021. doi: 10.1016/j.ctarc.2021.100468.
- Prognostic and predictive biomarker developments in multiple myeloma. Wallington-Beddoe C T, Mynott R L. J Hematol Oncol. 2021, Sept. doi: 10.1186/s13045-021-01162-7.
- Autonomic nervous system control of multiple myeloma. Cheng Y, Sun F, D'Souza A, et al. Blood Rev. 2021, Mar. doi: 10.1016/j.blre.2020.100741.
- Antibody-Based Treatment Approaches in Multiple Myeloma. Hosoya H, Sidana S. Curr Hematol Malig Rep. 2021, Apr. doi: 10.1007/s11899-021-00624-6.
- Immunological Prognostic Factors in Multiple Myeloma. Bębnowska D, Hrynkiewicz R, Grywalska E, et al. Int J Mol Sci. 2021, Mar. doi: 10.3390/ijms22073587.
Sponsored by Janssen Pharmaceuticals
1. MayoClinic. (n.d.) Multiple myeloma. Retrieved from: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/multiple-myeloma/symptoms-causes/syc-20353378#:~:text=Multiple%20myeloma%20is%20a%20cancer,crowd%20out%20healthy%20blood%20cells.