Multiple Myeloma Resources
Multiple myeloma is a cancer that forms in a type of white blood cell called a plasma cell. Healthy plasma cells help you fight infections by making antibodies that recognize and attack germs.
In multiple myeloma, cancerous plasma cells accumulate in the bone marrow and crowd out healthy blood cells. Rather than produce helpful antibodies, the cancer cells produce abnormal proteins that can cause complications.
Treatment for multiple myeloma isn't always necessary right away. If the multiple myeloma is slow growing and isn't causing signs and symptoms, your doctor may recommend close monitoring instead of immediate treatment. For people with multiple myeloma who require treatment, a number of options are available to help control the disease.1
Journal of Managed Care + Specialty Pharmacy
- Cost-effectiveness of adding daratumumab or bortezomib to lenalidomide plus dexamethasone for newly diagnosed multiple myeloma. Journal of Managed Care + Specialty, 2021, Dec;27(12):1691-1702.
- The high cost burden of third- to fifth-line treatments for multiple myeloma: unsustainable and unaffordable. Journal of Managed Care + Specialty, 2021 Sep;27(9):1321-1324.
- Medication Adherence, Health Care Utilization, and Costs Among Patients Initiating Oral Oncolytics for Multiple Myeloma or Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia/Small Lymphocytic Lymphoma. Journal of Managed Care + Specialty, 2020 Feb;26(2):186-196.
- Anti B-Cell Maturation Antigen CAR T-Cell and Antibody Drug Conjugate Therapy for Heavily Pretreated Relapsed and Refractory Multiple Myeloma.
A Summary From the Institute for Clinical and Economic Review’s Midwest Comparative Effectiveness Public Advisory Council. Journal of Managed Care + Specialty, 2021 Sep;27(9):1315-1320.
- AMCP Payer Perspectives on Management of Multiple Myeloma. AMCP. 2021, Dec.
- Current Approaches to Management of Newly Diagnosed Multiple Myeloma. Goel U, Usmani S, Kumar S. Am J Hematol. 2022, Mar. doi: 10.1002/ajh.26512.
- Diagnosis and Management of Multiple Myeloma: A Review. Cowan A J, Green D J, Kwok M, et al. JAMA. 2022, Feb. doi: 10.1001/jama.2022.0003.
- Roadmap to cure multiple myeloma. Rodriguez-Otero P, Paiva B, San-Miguel J F. Cancer Treat. 2021, Nov. doi: 10.1016/j.ctrv.2021.102284.
- Epidemiology, Staging, and Management of Multiple Myeloma. Padala S A, Barsouk A, Barsouk A, et al. Med Sci (Basel). 2021, Jan. doi: 10.3390/medsci9010003.
- Consensus Guidelines and Recommendations for Infection Prevention in Multiple Myeloma: A Report From the International Myeloma Working Group. Raje N S, Anaissie E, Kumrar S K, et al. Lancet Haematol. 2022, Feb. doi: 10.1016/S2352-3026(21)00283-0
- Prognostic and predictive biomarker developments in multiple myeloma. Wallington-Beddoe C T, Mynott R L. J Hematol Oncol. 2021, Sept. doi: 10.1186/s13045-021-01162-7.
- What Is Multiple Myeloma?. Silberstein J, Tuchman S, Grant S J. JAMA 2022, Feb. doi: 10.1001/jama.2021.25306.
- Antibody-Based Treatment Approaches in Multiple Myeloma. Hosoya H, Sidana S. Curr Hematol Malig Rep. 2021, Apr. doi: 10.1007/s11899-021-00624-6.
- Multiple Myeloma Current Treatment Algorithms. Rajkumar S V, Kumar S. Blood Cancer J. 2020, Sept. doi: 10.1038/s41408-020-00359-2.
Sponsored by Janssen Pharmaceuticals
1. MayoClinic. (n.d.) Multiple myeloma. Retrieved from: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/multiple-myeloma/symptoms-causes/syc-20353378#:~:text=Multiple%20myeloma%20is%20a%20cancer,crowd%20out%20healthy%20blood%20cells.