Hemophilia is a rare disorder in which the blood doesn't clot in the typical way because it doesn't have enough blood-clotting proteins (clotting factors). If you have hemophilia, you might bleed for a longer time after an injury than you would if your blood clotted properly.
Small cuts usually aren't much of a problem. If you have a severe form of the condition, the main concern is bleeding inside your body, especially in your knees, ankles and elbows. Internal bleeding can damage your organs and tissues and be life-threatening.
Hemophilia is almost always a genetic disorder. Treatment includes regular replacement of the specific clotting factor that is reduced. Newer therapies that don't contain clotting factors also are being used.1
AMCP is pleased to work with AstraZeneca to offer these resources to you.
Journal of Managed Care + Specialty Pharmacy
- Health Insurance Coverage and Switching Among People With Hemophilia A in the United States. Chunla He, David Hinds, Edmund Pezalla, et al. Journal of Managed Care + Specialty Pharmacy, 2022 Feb;28(2):232-243.
- Health Care Utilization and Expenditures of Parents of Children With and Without Hemophilia A. Eunice Kim, Zachary A Marcum, Karina Raimundo, et al. Journal of Managed Care + Specialty Pharmacy, 2022 May;28(5):529-537.
- Advances in Hemophilia A Management. Cho S, Perry A, Cheng A, et al. Adv Pediatr. 2022 Aug;69(1):133-147.
- High Risk and Low Prevalence Diseases: Hemophilia Emergencies. Alblaihed L, Dubbs S, Koyfman A, et al. Am J Emerg Med. 2022 Jun;56:21-27.
- Acquired Hemophilia A (AHA): Underreported, Underdiagnosed, Undertreated Medical Condition. El Demerdash D, Ayad A, Tawfik N. Egypt J Intern Med. 2022;34(1):12.
- Clinical Burden of Hemophilia in Older Adults: Beyond Bleeding Risk. Hassan Hodroj M, El Hasbani G, O Al-Shamsi H, et al. Blood Rev. 2022 May;53:100912.
- [Acquired Hemophilia]. Milanesio M, Hugo Tabares A, Andrés Caeiro G, et al. Rev Fac Cien Med Univ Nac Cordoba. 2022 Mar 7;79(1):57-60.
- Hemophilia A/B. Croteau S. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am. 2022 Aug;36(4):797-812.
- The Bleeding Phenotype in People With Nonsevere Hemophilia. Kloosterman F, Zwagemaker A, Bagot C, et al. Blood Adv. 2022 Jul 26;6(14):4256-4265.
- The Molecular Basis of FIX Deficiency in Hemophilia B. Shen G, Gao M, Cao Q, et al. Int J Mol Sci. 2022 Mar 2;23(5):2762.
Sponsored by AstraZeneca.
1. MayoClinic. (nd.) Hemophilia. Retrieved from https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hemophilia/symptoms-causes/syc-20373327.