From Value to Patient Care: Innovative Practices within the Managed Care Pharmacy Research Agenda
Webinar Recorded on April 1, 2021
The most critical evidentiary gaps for the field of managed care pharmacy were illuminated in this webinar. Cutting-edge studies in each pillar of AMCP/AMCP Foundation’s managed care pharmacy research agenda was discussed. Key findings that relate to the following four themes were presented:
- Real-world evidence to inform managed care pharmacy decision-making;
- Value-based models in managed care pharmacy to address total cost of care;
- Impact of benefit design or utilization management strategies on patient outcomes; and
- Impact of direct patient care services provided by managed care pharmacy on patient outcomes.
Original research was featured, with speakers from health plans and universities building upon poster presentations from AMCP Virtual Nexus. AMCP members, researchers, and health care stakeholders are invited to explore the research agenda, as developed by the AMCP/AMCP Foundation Joint Research Committee.
Speakers and case studies:
- Kaylin R. Braekevelt, PharmD, Clinical Pharmacist, BCBS Michigan: Impact of Short-Acting Insulin Non-Medical Switching and Utilization Among Commercially Insured Members with Diabetes (recipient of a bronze JMCP ribbon)
- Brett Sahli, PharmD, Senior Director, Value and Outcomes, Prime Therapeutics: Sacubitril-Valsartan Real World Assessment of Total Cost of Care and Resource Utilization Pre/Post Initiation Among Commercially Insured Members with Reduced Ejection Fraction Heart Failure (recipient of a platinum JMCP ribbon)
- Anjana Mohan, MPharm, PhD Candidate, University of Houston: Impact of Motivational Interviewing Intervention in Texas Medicare Advantage Patients with Hypertension (recipient of a gold JMCP ribbon)
- Tavan Parker, PharmD, Clinical Pharmacist, Prominence Health Plan and University of Utah Pharmaceutical Outcomes Research Center: A Retrospective Analysis of the Clinical and Financial Outcomes of Converting Patients from Originator Remicade to an Infliximab Biosimilar (recipient of an AMCP Foundation Best Poster Award)
- Vyishali Dharbhamalla, PharmD, Manager, Professional Affairs, AMCP
- Paula J. Eichenbrenner, MBA, CAE, Executive Director, AMCP Foundation